Thursday, November 1, 2012

Townsend: Cinco Preludios by Pujol, No. 5

This is the last of Máximo Diego Pujol's five preludes for guitar. The quickest of the set, it is a candombe, the quicker variety of tango showing African influences in the rhythmic syncopations of the chords near the beginning and the repeated notes in the return to the A section after the slow middle section. It also ends with some percussion: tapping on the guitar. Here is the recording with the usual photos: the composer, first page of the score, tango dancers and myself.


Unfortunately I don't have recordings by myself of most of the Villa-Lobos preludes, just No. 4, which I have already posted here. They would have been useful in doing a comparison of the preludes by Pujol with the ones by Villa-Lobos. I will do that comparison, but I will save it for another post.

No comments: