Tuesday, February 26, 2013

One Wise Politician

One of my favorite bloggers, Instapundit, often says that the current political class is the worst ever. But sometimes you can be surprised. Canada's Pierre Elliott Trudeau had some surprising things to say at times. I recall that after coming out of a viewing of Gallipoli, the film about WWI by Australian director Peter Weir, that he said the ending made him feel "sucked into nothingness" which is a pretty good take on it. And speaking of Australians, I just ran a across a remarkable interview with Australian politician Paul Keating who was Prime Minister of Australia from 1991 to 1996. Here it is:


I don't think I have ever heard more sensible talk about music and the arts from a politician. How in heaven's name do folks like this get elected in Australia?

I've long had a soft spot for Australia since I first started watching Australian cinema in the 70s and 80s. Lots of excellent films like Breaker Morant and Picnic at Hanging Rock. Lots of good pop music too like Men at Work:


In the early 80s it was that song that turned me back on to pop music. There was also XTC:


Some of the best classical guitars in the world are made in Australia by people like Greg Smallman. They make some great wine too like Penfolds Grange. Then there are some recent pop stars like Gotye who just won a Grammy for Record of the Year for his song "Somebody That I Used to Know" (that I blogged about long ago!):


But I find the less pop-oriented musician Packwood even more interesting:


Wow. Australia is a fascinating place all right.

5 comments:

cloudpine said...

Your posts just keep getting better, and I didn't miss your feature on Wendy Carlos, much appreciated Bryan!

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks! I'm always looking for ideas for posts, so if you have something you would like to see me talk about, feel free to let me know.

Jeremy said...

Cloudpine put me onto your blog. Nice work! I'm from Australia by the way...

Bryan Townsend said...

Thanks, mate!

Rickard said...

A wise politician indeed. Quite a rarity.