Thursday, November 3, 2011

Note on Haydn

Looking at my stats I see that my Haydn posts are far from being the most popular. But I'll keep doing them anyway!  I think that Haydn is always going to be more important than Yuja Wang's dress choices! (Ed-- hey, quit picking on her! OK.)

I started working on a post about the last movement of op 20 no 4, but it won't go up today because I see that the usual take on the movement, that it is just rollicking gypsy music, isn't really true, so I'm digging deeper. It will probably go up tomorrow.

In the meantime, why not go back and read my first three posts on the quartet? Like all the op 20 quartets it is a remarkable and influential piece of music. The people that owned copies of op 20 and who studied it in detail by analyzing, annotating and copying out movements include Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms. That's a pretty tight group of heavy hitters...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

No comments: